The theme of this week’s meeting is “Relaxation.” Bring a guest, or here is your invitation to come as a guest (no need to RSVP, just show up). Guests can invite guests too. Here is the link for location and time.
Speaking Tip: Wayne
Word of the Day: Hanna
Ah Counter: Liz
Timer: Mary Jo
Speakers: Dave, Lili, Guille
Table Topics: Cindy
General Evaluator: Ron
Evaluators: Stephanie, Azim, Larry
July 1, 2014 Meeting Notes
The theme of the meeting was “Fireworks.” Mary Jo was our Presiding Officer; there were 13 people at the meeting.
Our new Area Governor, Martina, attended the meeting to install new club officers for the 2014-2015 year.
Speaking Tip: Wayne advised us to look for unexpected elements to incorporate into speeches to teach listeners something new and to hold their attention – “make people look for purple cows.”
- Sol’s speech, “Disarming and Charming” began with a discussion of the power of words, and led us to some ideas to change the name of the officer position “sergeant at arms.” If you’re in favor of changing the role to “welcome master” or something similar, send your suggestions to new President, Mary Jo!
- Liz gave her ice breaker speech, sharing some difficult memories of growing up in a military family and challenges as an adult with her own family. Liz talked about some of the things she turned to to help her move beyond challenges, including writing, meditation and yoga.
- Grace’s speech, “3 Toastmaster Updates, or What I Did in June Besides Show Up at Mission Chapter” described how Grace came to be in charge of the Annual Santa Barbara Writers’ Conference (which was held in early June), and things she’s learned along the way.
Table Topics: Larry
General Evaluator: Mary Jo
Evaluators: Azim, Christine, Mark
Word of the Day: Liz – “Euphonius,” which means “having a pleasing sound.”
Ah Counter: Hanna
Lili’s Rooney expressed frustrations about not being able to find things when she needed them.
- Wayne took the Best Table Topics award for his description of various fireworks “adventures” he’s had.
- Best Evaluator award went to Christine for her evaluation of Liz’s speech.
- Liz won the Best Speaker award for her ice breaker speech about challenges she’s encountered in life and the approach she took to take care of herself and her family.
Notes – Wayne completed the Competent Communicator manual!