The theme for Mission Chapter’s 1,804th meeting will be “Honor.” Bring a guest, or here is your invitation to come as a guest (no need to RSVP, just show up). Guests can invite guests too. Here is the link for location and time.Toastmaster: Alyce Joke: Kristina Speaking Tip: Wayne Speakers: Lili, Holly, Ron Table Topics: Christine General Evaluator: Mary Jo Evaluators: Larry, Cindy, Liz Word of the Day: Fred Ah Counter: Azim Timer: Dave Awardmaster: Open Rooney: Larry —– May 19, 2015 Meeting Notes The theme of the meeting was “Drought.” Mary Jo was the presiding officer, there were 13 people at the meeting including guests Connor and Taylor, and returning guest Annie. Toastmaster: Larry Ron’s word of the day was “percolate.” Jokemaster Fred entertained us with a series of one liners from comedian George Carlin. Ron’s Speaking Tip reminded us that we need to be flexible and ready to adapt to changing situations in speaking engagements. Speakers:
- Christine’s speech, “On Demand,” described changes that the workforce has undergone in recent years. We seem to be moving to an “on demand economy” where people create opportunities by connecting a potential workforce or consumers with underused time or assets (think uber, Airbnb, VRBO). These companies have come into being without any real structure, and are now bumping up against “old school” regulations, these regulations need to be adapted to meet the needs of this evolving economy.
- In her speech, “Preparation & Practice,” Mary Jo reminded us that when faced with a speaking engagement, preparation and practice will lead to excellence. She offered a series of suggestions for success, from creating and memorizing your speech to familiarizing yourself with the speech location. “Good luck happens when preparedness meets opportunity!”
- Liz’s continued to provide the club with information about holistic healing in her speech, “The Importance of Iodine & Trace Minerals for Our Thyroid.” Liz shared first hand experience about the importance of iodine in addressing and potentially reducing significant health issues such as breast cancer.
Awardmaster was Wayne:
- The award for best Table Topics went to Taylor for his thoughts on the environmental impact of potential water usage options to alleviate the drought.
- Fred received the Best Evaluator award for his review of Mary Jo’s speech.
- The award for Best Speaker went to Liz.
In her Rooney, Holly talked about her dislike for shopping – why do we need so much stuff?