The theme for Mission Chapter’s 1,877th meeting will be Hair of the Dog.
Bring a guest, or here is your invitation to come as a guest (no need to RSVP, just show up).
Guests can invite guests too. Here is the link for location and time.
Speaking Tip: Grace
Speakers: Aaron, OPEN, Jen
Table Topics: Jon
General Evaluator: Hiba
Evaluators: Robert, Azim, Wayne
Word of the Day: Cedar
Ah Counter: OPEN
November 1st, 2016 Meeting Notes
The theme of the meeting was Day of the Dead.
Cindy was the presiding officer. There were 14 people at the meeting, including returning guest Nandhu.
Word of the Day: Obsequious: fawning, ingratiating.
• Hiba’s speech, “Lessons from a Singing Idol,” described how watching a recent performance by her favorite singer, Charles Aznavour, reminded Hiba of skills that are important to public speaking: Know your audience, but don’t go overboard – in a performance in Los Angeles Mr. Aznavour sang in French (his native language) as well as English and Spanish to reflect the audience composition; Connect through stories – share personal stories that are relevant to your performance; and Give quality to the audience – add a personal touch.
• In his speech, “Death Becomes Us,” Larry discussed the origin and traditions of the “Dia de los Muertos.”
• Ron’s speech, “9 Proven Speech Recipes,” provided the club with tips about developing speeches on short notice, including top 10 lists, something personal about yourself, something you are an expert at, or a recent event or something that happened to you.
• Best Speaker: Ron for his speech, “Nine Proven Speech Recipes.”
• Best Evaluator: Alyce for her evaluation of Hiba’s speech.
• Best Table Topic: Julia for explanation of why Wayne should dress up as a McDonald’s Chicken McNugget when collecting donations for the Salvation Army this Christmas!